Starting is the most important thing
The world is a vast and complex place, and it’s easy to feel overwhelmed by the enormity of the challenges we face. Climate change, poverty, inequality, and other issues can seem insurmountable. It’s tempting to feel like there’s nothing we can do to make a difference, but that couldn’t be further from the truth.
The truth is that every single one of us has the power to create change. No matter how small our actions may seem, they can have a ripple effect that can lead to significant progress. It all starts with making a start.
Making a start can be difficult. It can be scary to take that first step, to put ourselves out there and try to make a difference. We worry about failure, about not making a big enough impact, about being judged or ridiculed.
But the thing is, making a start is the only way to make progress. The only way to improve the world is to take action, one step at a time. It may not be easy, but it’s worth it.
Every great achievement in history started with a single step. Think about it: the civil rights movement, women’s suffrage, the fight against apartheid, the push for marriage equality. All of these movements started with small actions, with people who were willing to take a stand and make a difference.
We don’t have to do something big and flashy to make a difference. We don’t have to start a revolution or change the world overnight. We can start small, with the things we can do right now. We can recycle, use less plastic, reduce our carbon footprint, volunteer, donate to charity, or simply be kind to others.
The butterfly effect
The butterfly effect is a concept in chaos theory that states that small changes in one part of a system can have a large impact on the system as a whole. The name comes from the idea that the flap of a butterfly’s wings in one part of the world can set off a chain of events that eventually leads to a hurricane on the other side of the world.
This concept can be applied to stopping climate change. Every small action we take to reduce our carbon footprint, no matter how seemingly insignificant, can have a larger impact on the environment as a whole. For example, choosing to bike instead of driving to work, using reusable bags instead of plastic ones, or turning off lights when we leave a room can all contribute to reducing our carbon footprint.
These small actions may not seem like much, but they add up. They create momentum, inspire others, and can lead to significant change. One person’s action can inspire another, who can inspire another, and so on. Soon, a small movement can become a large one, with the power to make a real difference. Your small action, when multiplied by the actions of millions of people, can have a significant impact.
So, if you’re feeling overwhelmed by the state of the world, remember that you have the power to create change. It all starts with making a start. It doesn’t matter how small your action may seem. Every little bit counts.
Be brave, be bold, and take that first step. You never know where it might lead you. You might inspire others to follow your lead, or you might make a difference in someone’s life that you never even knew. The important thing is to make a start, to do something, to take action. Because every single one of us has the power to create a better world, one step at a time.
Here are some quotes about the importance of making a start
- “The secret of getting ahead is getting started.” – Mark Twain
- “The most difficult thing is the decision to act, the rest is merely tenacity.” – Amelia Earhart
- “The way to get started is to quit talking and begin doing.” – Walt Disney
- “Start where you are. Use what you have. Do what you can.” – Arthur Ashe
- “The greatest glory in living lies not in never falling, but in rising every time we fall.” – Nelson Mandela
- “The only way to do great work is to love what you do.” – Steve Jobs
- “You don’t have to be great to start, but you have to start to be great.” – Zig Ziglar
- “Success seems to be connected with action. Successful people keep moving. They make mistakes, but they don’t quit.” – Conrad Hilton
- “All great things start with a small beginning.” – Unknown
- “The journey of a thousand miles begins with one step.” – Lao Tzu
- “Don’t wait for opportunities, create them.” – Unknown
- “The future belongs to those who believe in the beauty of their dreams.” – Eleanor Roosevelt
- “The only limit to our realization of tomorrow will be our doubts of today.” – Franklin D. Roosevelt
- “Start by doing what’s necessary; then do what’s possible; and suddenly you are doing the impossible.” – Francis of Assisi
- “You don’t have to see the whole staircase, just take the first step.” – Martin Luther King Jr.
We hope these quotes inspire you to take action and make a start towards achieving your goals!
Click here to make a start on climate action with us, right now!
Read ‘The Tao of Climate’ by Hempoffset’s Gary J Byrnes, on Google Play here, and all good digital bookstores.
- Google-Supported Startup Helps Rebuild Ukraine with New Carbon Credit Category
- Tao Climate: The Pride of Ireland as Country Winner for the Creative Business Cup
- The Drawbacks of DAC, Direct Air Capture, Carbon Credits and the Rise of Hemp Carbon Credits
- The Rise of Hemp Carbon Credits: A Sustainable Alternative to Forestry Carbon Credits
- The Party at the End of the World, a Short Story
Founder and CEO at Hempoffset.com and TaoClimate.com.
Hempoffset works with hemp growers and makers worldwide, to capture and sequester CO2 at scale, while building a sustainable world.
Tao Climate works with companies and individuals that want to measure, minimise and manage their carbon footprints. Tao Climate is the way to carbon neutral.
We are proud members of the Google Startups for Sustainable Development program.